Welcome to the 2018 Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program in the Computer Science Department at Montana State University sponsored by the National Science Foundation
Research and Development of Algorithms in a Software Factory
Spend your summer in Bozeman Montana gaining research skills and preparation for graduate school!
- Tools for Reducing the Technical Debt of Systems and quantifying quality (e.g., cyber-security)
- Tools for Computing Genomic Distances with Gene Duplications
- Software Tools for Pan-genomics
- A Testing Framework for Systematic Testing of Scientific Software
- Sustainable Software Package for Topological Data Analysis
- Risk-based Vehicle Health Management
- Biomedical Natural Language Processing Tool for Extracting Protein-Function Relations from Literature
- 10 weeks, June 4 - August 10
- $5000 stipend
- Travel expenses will be reimbursed up to $600
- Paid housing at MSU
- Meal allowance $120/week
- State-of-the-art research facilities
- Faculty-student mentoring
- Weekend outings, social activities
Dr. Clemente Izurieta, Computer Science, MSU
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 406.994.3720
Dr. Brendan Mumey, Computer Science, MSU
Email: email@example.com Phone: 406.994.7811
- -Located in Bozeman, Montana in the heart of the Rocky Mountains
- -Approximately 16,000 students
- -www.montana.edu, www.gsoc.montana.edu
- Yellowstone National Park, www.nps.gov/yell
-Hiking and biking trails 10 minutes from campus
Expose students to real-world, innovative and interdisciplinary research focused on networks research and network modeling with application to sustainability
Encourage more undergraduates to continue their academic careers and seek graduate degrees in computer science, engineering, and environmental science
Help participants develop research skills and improve communication and collaborative skills.
Have fun!! We will organize several group activities such as hikes, a trip to Yellowstone and whitewater rafting. Montana State University is located in the heart of the Rocky Mountains in Bozeman, Montana.
Applications for the Summer of 2018 are OPEN!
To Apply you will need to send the project director the following documents:
- A personal statement (email)
- An official transcript from your undergraduate institution (you may either email or send via regular mail to Dr. Clemente Izurieta) It is ok to send an unofficial transcript for the application, but if selected we will require the official one.
- Two letters of recommendation. Please have your letters emailed directly to Dr. Izurieta with a subject line indicating REU MSU <your name>
- Please complete the following online application:
- Applicant must be a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States
- Applicant must be an undergraduate student with good standing
- All applicants are expected to have completed a course in Algorithms and Programming